    SubjectRe: Should I use Linux to develop driver for specialized ISA card?
    Fred, I'd check out the faq on rtlinux...

    "Worst-case times are
    about 15microseconds between the assertion of an interrupt
    and the starting of the realtime handler on a generic x86
    PC"

    there where patches in the 2.2 era (some kind of midi related flamefest
    occured at that time) that would take the average in a 2.2 kenel down to
    25Us but the worst case was still fairly large...

    what a rtos buys is not generally performance but a much higher
    level determinism than what we can arrive at.

    joelja

    On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, Fred wrote:

    > I'm curious, Alan, Why? I'm a hardware developer, and I would have assumed
    > that linux would have been ideal for real time / embedded projects? (routers
    > / controllers / etc.) Is there, for instance, a reason to suspect that linux
    > would not be able to respond to interrupts at say 8Khz?
    > of course I know nothing of rtlinux so I'll read.
    >
    > TIA
    > Fred

    > On Tuesday 04 September 2001 10:15 am, Alan Cox wrote:
    > > > The moving parts of the plotter are controlled by ISA card that generates
    > > > (and responds to) interrupts on each movement or printing event.
    > > > The interrupts can be generated quite fast; up to frequency of 4kHz.
    > >
    > > Thats fine. The issue you might need to consider is how long you can wait
    > > between an irq and actually excuting the handler. If that is very tight
    > > then you may want Victor Yodaiken's rtlinux
    > > -
    > -

    Joel Jaeggli joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu
    Academic User Services consult@gladstone.uoregon.edu
    PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E