SubjectRe: boot problems with older machines, kernels 2.4.x
 --- Thomas Ackermann <atze-lists@ewave.at> wrote: >
Steve Kieu schrieb:

> > strange! I use a rather old 486 20M ram here and
> no
> > problem.
>
> indeed is is quite strange, if i compile that kernel
> on the 486 the machine
> works,
> only doesn`t work when i untar the system built on
> the k7 onto the 486...
> something in the system has to be wrong, maybe libs
> i think, but don't have a
> clue what it could be..
> not even a init startup message..

I once have the same problem with 2.2.19 in slackware,
thing is, even I chose to make for 486 the kernel
still refuses to run on 486 but run on the 686 (the
machine I compile. So I edit the Make file and add to
the C flags this -mcpu=i686 -march=i486 to force it
compile for the march=i486. It works.

I am not sure at this time about my glibc, may be it
was already the new compiled one for 686 ; Let me test
today. that is compile kernel for 486 but the library
all built for 686 and see if it works. Theoreticlly if
the kernel is statically linked with libc, it wont
work too. Am I right?

Regard

> -
> "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
> More majordomo info at

=====
S.KIEU

http://travel.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Travel
- Got Itchy feet? Get inspired!

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:02    [W:0.093 / U:0.144 seconds]