SubjectRe: using O_DIRECT
Andrea Arcangeli [andrea@suse.de] wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 03, 2001 at 03:13:42PM -0500, Bob McElrath wrote:
> > I have written a small program to use O_DIRECT (attached), after
> > applying your patch o_direct-14 to kernel 2.4.9. Opening the file with
> > O_DIRECT is successful, but attempts to write to the fd return EINVAL.
> >
> > Am I doing something wrong? Should I have to recompile glibc too?
>
> eh, the alignment and size of the buffer have basically the same
> restrictions of running read/write on a raw device, with the only
> difference that for rawio the granularity is the hardblocksize, while
> for O_DIRECT the granularity is the softblocksize of the filesystem.

Ah, thanks, it's working now. Makes sense that it should use blocksize
granularity...

> We'll have to relax the granularity of the I/O down to the hardblocksize
> for O_DIRECT too eventually.

I don't really care about the granularity. The bigger the better,
actually, since I'm streaming data to disk quickly. ;)

Thanks,
-- Bob

Bob McElrath (rsmcelrath@students.wisc.edu)
Univ. of Wisconsin at Madison, Department of Physics

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:02    [W:0.105 / U:0.268 seconds]