SubjectRe: newsgroup of all mailing lists ?
Date
Followup to:  <20010927013522.I11046@mea-ext.zmailer.org>
By author: Matti Aarnio <matti.aarnio@zmailer.org>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> It is not trivial.
>
> We ( postmaster@vger.kernel.org ) don't recommend making bidirectional
> gateways -- one mistake there, and the system causes duplication of
> messages at the list it is linked with. When we detect that mistake,
> the usual court-martial is swift, and feed from VGER to the GW is
> removed instantly.
>
> I think these loop problems were one of the reasons why one of us
> (DaveM) strongly opposes list<->news gateways. I am somewhat less
> in opposition, and my thinking is that the only way we can have
> reliable (hah!) list<->news gw is by running it centralized at VGER.
> Modern VGER has muscle for it, but don't expect it to happen any
> time soon.

I actually had such a centralized gateway ran at one time. It's still
running locally at Transmeta.

The only sane way to do this is in a centralized fashion, distributed
outbound via the standard news mechanisms.

-hpa
http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt <amsp@zytor.com>