    SubjectRe: broken VM in 2.4.10-pre9

    On Tue, 25 Sep 2001, Pavel Machek wrote:

    > Hi!
    > > > So my suggestion was to look at getting anonymous pages backed by what
    > > > amounts to a shared memory segment. In that vein. By using an extent
    > > > based data structure we can get the cost down under the current 8 bits
    > > > per page that we have for the swap counts, and make allocating swap
    > > > pages faster. And we want to cluster related swap pages anyway so
    > > > an extent based system is a natural fit.
    > >
    > > Much of this goes away if you get rid of both the swap and anonymous page
    > > special cases. Back anonymous pages with the "whoops everything I write here
    > > vanishes mysteriously" file system and swap with a swapfs
    > What exactly is anonymous memory? I thought it is what you do when you
    > want to malloc(), but you want to back that up by swap, not /dev/null.

    Anonymous memory is memory which is not backed by a filesystem or a
    device. eg: malloc()ed memory, shmem, mmap(MAP_PRIVATE) on a file (which
    will create anonymous memory as soon as the program which did the mmap
    writes to the mapped memory (COW)), etc.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:03    [W:0.042 / U:2.528 seconds]