SubjectRe: Kernel Panic New Adaptec - Old Adaptec Works
>Hello,
>
>I am running a dual PIII 933 VIA based motherboard (Gigabyte 6VXDC7).
>I have two Seagate Cheetah HDs, and two SCSI cdroms. There are no IDE
>devices anywhere in the system, and no support is compiled in the kernel or
>as a module for IDE.
>
>Kernel 2.4.7 works perfectly. I cannot get 2.4.10 to work with the new aha
>driver compiled into the kernel. Below is what I was able to capture of the
>output

You need to disable all of the "speed up my PCI bus even though it violates
the spec) options in your BIOS. The old driver issues a PCI read after
every device write to overcome such silliness in broken BIOSes/chipsets.
The new driver only issues a read (to flush writes) when synchronization
is required. The workaround used in the old driver has too high of a
performance penalty which is why the new driver does not do it.

--
Justin