Subject[RFC] OOM aware applications
I was looking at the code in oom_kill.c, I had the following suggestions

Warning: I am not aware of what was discussed earlier about these issues
or if they were discusses at all.

1. I was wondering that instead of killing the application using
oom_kill_task() directly, should the OOM
issue some kind of a warning by sending a signal (some signal with
si_code set to a value indicating that
the application is causing memory to run out). Then, wait for a
while and then see if the application is still
misbehaving and if so kill it.

2. Minor changes suggested

In the code, I see

points *= 2 and points /= 4 in a few places, recommend changing them to

points <<= 1 and points >>= 2 to help the compiler generate better code

Dialog between the kernel and an OOM aware application

on OOM condition

kernel to the application: Hey u are running the system out of memory
application: Sorry my lord, I commited a blunder and will rectify myself

application rectifies itself and everybody lives happily everafter
application is stuborn

kernel: You must go now, u have been unfair in your demands and have
caused a lot of problem
application: Does not get to say anything, it is zapped

Comments, Suggestions, Criticism
Balbir

Information transmitted by this E-MAIL is proprietary to Wipro and/or its Customers and
is intended for use only by the individual or entity to which it is
addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or
recipient or it appears that this mail has been forwarded to you without
proper authority, you are notified that any use or dissemination of this
information in any manner is strictly prohibited. In such cases, please
notify us immediately at mailto:mailadmin@wipro.com and delete this mail
from your records.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:17    [W:0.038 / U:0.548 seconds]