SubjectRe: "hde: timeout waiting for DMA": message gone, same behaviour
I had the pleasure of a visit from the DMA fairy before. I found two
things that sometimes help.

1) reorganize the PCI cards to alter the interrupt sharing. This is
a tiresome trial-and-error process that worked for me. When you
find a working setup, close the case and use it [1].

2) Are you using APIC? try booting "noapic" and see how it goes

[1] The good old ham radio method of fixing a radio. Poke around with
a screwdriver, pushing the bits (these was in the days of valves and
such)
around until at some point, touching some object, the problem (whistle,
noise, cracking) stops. Solder the screwdriver to that object.

--
Eyal Lebedinsky (eyal@eyal.emu.id.au) <http://samba.anu.edu.au/eyal/>