    SubjectRe: Preemptive kernel and vm management in 2.4.9
    The preemption patch helps on problems with high letencies.

    High latencies means that the kernel is busy doing something, so that
    other threads will get starved. This problem is especially seen when
    using multimedia.

    The most discussed problem is listening to a MP3-file, while the machine
    has a high load. What we want to avoid is skips in the music.

    Tee preemption patch helps, because it allows preemption of processes
    running in kernel space, meaning that the sheduler can choose another
    process, even though the process running is in kernel-space.
    (A very crude description, I know, but AFAIK is is the general idea)

    Without the preemption patch, whenever a userprocess makes a call to the
    kernel, it could not be resheduled before the call had returned. This
    results in very high latencies for some kernel calls.

    Hope it helps, othervice please refere to documentation and recent
    lkml-threads.

    Anders Fugmann

    Samuel T Ting wrote:

    > Hello all,
    >
    > Lately, I have been hearing a lot about preemptive kernels on the list.
    > I have just started looking into kernel internals, so could somebody
    > explain what kernel preemption is?
    >
    > Also, how does virtual memory management in 2.4.9 work?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Samuel Ting
    >
    > -

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:03    [W:0.055 / U:0.140 seconds]