SubjectRe: Linux 2.4.10-pre11

On Tue, 18 Sep 2001, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Sep 2001, Alexander Viro wrote:
> >
> > It can be modified so that combination with lazy-bdev and pipefs-like tree
> > would work. And yes, most of the ugliness would just go away.
>
> That's the part I like about the page-cache bdev patch. It has a lot of
> fairly ugly warts, but all of them seem to be really fixable with _other_
> cleanups, at which point only the good parts remain.

It's actually quite broken in several areas (== bunch of panicable rmmod
races, broken wrt umount(), trivially oopsable in ioctl() on ramdisk,
very suspicious in swapoff(2), etc.). It _might_ be fixable, but I
would really like to see the patch that went into -pre11 separately from
the rest. Andrea, could you send it to me? In particular, I'm deeply
suspicious about changes in blkdev_put() in case of BDEV_FILE.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:17    [W:0.176 / U:1.192 seconds]