SubjectRe: Linux 2.4.10-pre11

On Tue, 18 Sep 2001, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 17, 2001 at 11:25:09PM -0300, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
> > My point is: we're not going to start aging pte's until we have a
> > zone shortage, right ?
> correct, so we don't waste time if there's only filesystem cache
> pressure during the whole kernel uptime (not an unlikely scenario if you
> have enough ram like on servers).
> > I really think this will cause problems in practice, Andrea.
> yes, this hiding could infact explain the report you posted. I'll try to
> reproduce with highmem emulation and to fix it as soon as I can
> reproduce, also if you are interested to hack on it too feel free to
> send patches of course. thanks.

Personally I think it is too late in the 2.4.x series to integrate your

I have nothing against the code itself (the "old" code also had bugs), but
a major VM rewrite at this point seems to be dangerous if we want a stable

Don't you agree that your code can introduce new stability bugs ?

Linus, please, if you want to integrate Andrea's code do it in 2.5.x, but
not 2.4.x. (yes, I'm expecting you to scream at me now :))