SubjectRe: 2.4.10-pre11: alsaplayer skiping during kernel build (-pre10 did not)
On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 09:28:56PM +0200, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:
> On 18 Sep 2001 17:51:04 +0200 jogi@planetzork.ping.de wrote:
>
> > > You can try to back it out and see if helps just in case.
> >
> > Ok Andrea,
> >
> > I will test and let you know about the findings but I am afraid I can not
> > test this today. But I will let you know. Btw. xmms is skipping like mad
> > too.
>
> Hello,
>
> just my experience in this topic:
> I worked on -pre11 for one complete day after massive nfs server usage, no
> problems so far.
> current meminfo looks like:
>
> total: used: free: shared: buffers: cached:
> Mem: 923574272 865853440 57720832 0 66609152 629137408
> Swap: 271392768 434176 270958592
> MemTotal: 901928 kB
> MemFree: 56368 kB
> MemShared: 0 kB
> Buffers: 65048 kB
> Cached: 614240 kB
> SwapCached: 152 kB
> Active: 671956 kB
> Inactive: 7484 kB
> HighTotal: 0 kB
> HighFree: 0 kB
> LowTotal: 901928 kB
> LowFree: 56368 kB
> SwapTotal: 265032 kB
> SwapFree: 264608 kB
>
> I currently compile kernel with -j 5 while playing mp3s via xmms without the
> slightest problem (xosview load is now 8). I tried xmms run as root and user,
> makes no difference. I tried starting applications (like mozilla or
> applixware), no problem. No mouse hangs or anything else negative. I am _not_
> using alsa, but emu10k1 from kernel.
> I couldn't even make it crash or skip in xmms while singing Torn together with
> Natalie - and listening to that _is_ real stress :-))
>
> You only have to find some strategy to come around these formerly noticed alloc
> failures, perhaps by an idea to free up pages instantly if an alloc would fail
> otherwise (now). I like the overall performance very much, Andrea.

I'm very happy to hear this ;).

I now have an update ready for Linus to merge that should fix the few
leftovers I had in the very first release of the vm rewrite but of
course I will be interested to hear about any regression/progression
about those changes, I'll post them in a few minutes in CC to l-k.

They're still untested on the >1G boxes but the oom problems weren't
specific to highmem so it should fix the highmem troubles too.

Andrea

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:03    [W:0.092 / U:0.204 seconds]