    SubjectRe: Linux 2.4.10-pre11

    On Tue, 18 Sep 2001, Alexander Viro wrote:

    > It can be modified so that combination with lazy-bdev and pipefs-like tree
    > would work. And yes, most of the ugliness would just go away.

    That's the part I like about the page-cache bdev patch. It has a lot of
    fairly ugly warts, but all of them seem to be really fixable with _other_
    cleanups, at which point only the good parts remain.

    I agree that the timing may leave something to be desired. But we had the
    discussion about fixing pagecache-bdev consistency wrt the regular buffer
    cache filesystem accesses a week or so ago, and the fact is that nobody
    really seems to have started working on it - because everybody felt that
    you have to get everything done at once.

    I don't have that feeling. I'm happy with having partial merge with ugly
    warts, if it means that you can get to the final stage _without_ having to
    have all the problems fixed at one time.

    So now we have two _smaller_ merges that will fix two other issues, and
    remove all the horridness from the original merge.

    Linus

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:03    [W:3.083 / U:0.120 seconds]