    SubjectRe: Linux 2.4.10-pre11

    On Tue, 18 Sep 2001, Alexander Viro wrote:
    > Umm... Linus, had you actually read through the fs/block_device.c part
    > of that? It's not just ugly as hell, it's (AFAICS) not hard to oops
    > if you have several inodes sharing major:minor. ->bd_inode and its
    > treatment are bogus. Please, read it through and consider reverting -
    > in its current state code is an ugly mess.

    Funny that you mention it, because I actually have a cunning plan, and
    you're an unwitting part of it.

    Or actually, I hope you're a "witting" part of it, because it's going to
    be your code.

    Take your "struct block_device" code, add a "struct address_space" to it,
    and whenever a block device inode is opened, make the inode->i_mapping
    point to &bdev->b_data, and voila..

    You already get all the reference counting right, and it's the only
    sensible place to do it anyway, wouldn't you agree?

    I thought you'd be thrilled. It seems to match your lazy allocation patch
    very well..

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:03    [W:0.021 / U:0.848 seconds]