SubjectRe: IBM DTLA IDE Made In Hungary
Hello.

I experienced problems with their 40 GB and 75 GB variants. The first one was
made in Thaiwan. So it isn't really a matter from where they're coming from.
I'm testing right now. I have applied a special crc-patch and a self-made patch.
The problems didn't appeared again yet. I'm also testing with UDMA modes. The
drives are coming with UDMA 5 enabled, but linux and my board are'nt supporting
it. So I downspeeded them with IBM's Feature Tool. I first experienced faults
with linux>=2.4.5-ac12. Mostly the errors appeared after a boot in the morning
as the drive was down for hours and cold too.

But I don't own any RAID-controllers. I have just a simple UDMA2-controller.
Maybe these faults are only occuring in connection with my specific hardware. I
don't know.

So if you hadn't had any problems before you're disks would be safe for now.

Magnus Naeslund(f) wrote:

> A while ago I read about these drives on lkml.
> Someone was experiencing problems with them, and now I am too.
> We have a sh*tload of systems using these in a Promise SuperTrak IDE RAID
> setups.
> So we have 8raid*6drives running over here, and I'm afraid that they will
> start falling apart.

> Does anyone have any info on these problems ?
> URL:s, pointers, whatever?
> Has IBM said anything about this?
>
> Should I demand that the company selling these drives to us exhange those
> for some other brand, or what?
>
> Cheers
>
> Magnus

:: http://www.korseby.net
:: http://www.tomlab.de
kristian@korseby.net ....::

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:03    [W:0.523 / U:2.236 seconds]