    SubjectRe: Reading Windows CD on Linux 2.4.6
    Date
    Followup to:  <3BA6791A.616636CE@MissionCriticalLinux.com>
    By author: Bruce Blinn <blinn@MissionCriticalLinux.com>
    In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

    > I do not think the disk is missing data or that there are any bad
    > blocks. The reason I say this is because I can access every file on the
    > disk when the CD is mounted as an iso9660 file system on a 2.2.19
    > kernel. I compared the files with the originals and they are identical.
    >
    > The only reason I found out dd would not copy the disk is because Masoud
    > asked for an image.
    > I tried using dd to copy a much larger CD (150 Mb) and it fails at the
    > same place and the resulting file is the same size (737280 bytes). So
    > it fails long before the end of the data.
    >
    > By the way, dd works fine when copying other CDs that were not created
    > under Windows.

    This almost seems to imply they're recording the data noncontiguously,
    which would be totally bizarre but not totally impossible.

    -hpa
    http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt <amsp@zytor.com>