SubjectRe: Reading Windows CD on Linux 2.4.6
Followup to:  <>
By author: Bruce Blinn <>
In newsgroup:
> I do not think the disk is missing data or that there are any bad
> blocks. The reason I say this is because I can access every file on the
> disk when the CD is mounted as an iso9660 file system on a 2.2.19
> kernel. I compared the files with the originals and they are identical.
> The only reason I found out dd would not copy the disk is because Masoud
> asked for an image.
> I tried using dd to copy a much larger CD (150 Mb) and it fails at the
> same place and the resulting file is the same size (737280 bytes). So
> it fails long before the end of the data.
> By the way, dd works fine when copying other CDs that were not created
> under Windows.

This almost seems to imply they're recording the data noncontiguously,
which would be totally bizarre but not totally impossible.

<> at work, <> in private!
"Unix gives you enough rope to shoot yourself in the foot." <>