SubjectRe: Athlon problems fixed tweaking BIOS memory settings
Anton Altaparmakov (aia21@cus.cam.ac.uk) wrote :

> Hi all,
>
> I had a few random crashes on my Athlon EPOX 8KTA3 mobo Athlon 1.33GHz
> (BIOS from 06/14/2001) and Alan Cox suggested to run memtest as the oops
> apparently looked like memory corruption. Sure enough memtest showed
> problems above 256MiB but swapping the chips around still showed problems
> above 256MiB which meant it couldn't be the chips at fault (failing tests
> were 5 and 8 in memtest86 supplied with SuSE 7.2).

To eliminate any doubt about the chips, I suggest testing each of them separately.

> Playing with the memory settings I found that using the "DRAM
> Timing by SPD" option was unstable but setting it to manual and using the
> settings: 133MHz, CL2, Bank interleave disabled as well as Pre charge to
> active 3T, active to precharge 6T, active to cmd 3T. Makes it fully
> stable even with Page-Mode enabled.
>
> Changing the precharge/act/cmd value to faster caused increasing amounts
> of errors in memtest to appear and enabling Timing by SPD did the same.
> Memory now running at 23.1 MiB/sec according to memtest86 compared to 26
> MiB/sec at previous, faster but unstable settings.
>
> It seems there is some kind of problem with the "Timing by SPD" option.

SPD EEPROMs on many ( especially no-name ) RAM modules are programmed incorrectly
( according to C'T magazine - http://www.heise.de/ct/ ) so "Timing by SPD" does
not work at all, or sets a wrong timing.

--
David Balazic