    SubjectRe: AIC7xxx errors in 2.2.19 but not in 2.2.18

    On Fri, 14 Sep 2001, Frank Schneider wrote:

    > Holger Kiehl schrieb:
    > >
    > > Hello
    > >
    > > I am getting SCSI errors with an onboard Adaptec AIC-7890/1 Ultra2, but
    > > only under very heavy disk load and only under kernel 2.2.19. These errors
    > > do not appear under 2.2.18.
    > >
    > > The system I have is a dual PIII-450 with 6 disks attached to the controller.
    > > All disks are put together in SW-Raid5 array with one configured as hot
    > > spare.
    > >

    > (..log snipped..)
    >
    > > >From Alan's changelog I see that there where changes in the AIC7xxx code.
    > > Any idea what is wrong here?
    >
    > Hello...
    >
    > I (and someone else) had also mysterious problems with AIC7xxx and
    > RAID1/5, but we use Kernel 2.4.x.

    Just today Neil Brown has send a patch where he mentioned something
    about the AIC7xxx driver. But I don't know if this has anything
    to do with this problem.

    > In Kernel 2.4.x you can choose between two versions of the
    > aix7xxx-driver, one "old" one (Version 5.2.x) and a "new" one (Version
    > 6.x.x). Do a "cat /proc/scsi/aic7xxx/0" to find your version.

    I have played with 2.4.5 and the new aic7xxx driver and did not see
    the problems here. Have not tried the old one under 2.4.5. Unfortunately
    I cannot take 2.4.x because of the bigger swap demand.

    > We both found out that our problems dissapear when we use the "old"
    > driver (my tests are still in progress because my error (always the same
    > scsi-disk falling out of an raid5-array with an "internal error", but
    > the disk seems to be good) only appeared randomly about once a week, so
    > i still have to wait if it is really gone.
    >
    > So perhaps you can try to use the older driver or determine the version
    > of your aic7xxx-driver. Perhaps you can use the aic7xxx-driver from
    > kernel 2.2.18 in Kernel 2.2.19 ?
    >
    > You should also boot your system with the parameter "aic7xxx=verbose",
    > that will provide more infos in the syslog.

    Next time when I boot, I will put in this option.

    Thanks,
    Holger

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:03    [W:0.026 / U:0.408 seconds]