    SubjectRe: [IDEA+RFC] Possible solution for min()/max() war
    Date
    "A month of sundays ago Roman Zippel wrote:"
    > On Fri, 31 Aug 2001, Peter T. Breuer wrote:
    >
    > > if (sizeof(_x) != sizeof(_y)) \
    > > MIN_BUG(); \
    >
    > What bug are you trying to fix here?

    Wake up!

    > > int main() {
    > > unsigned i = 1;
    > > signed j = -2;
    > > return MIN(i,j);
    > > }
    >
    > Try -Wsign-compare.

    Wake up harder!

    Try reading the last 10 days kernel messages. The last 48 hours are
    particularly rewarding.

    To be honest, nobody has precisely formulated the problem. I'll attempt
    a quick summary of the most salient:

    C silently transforms signed int to unsigned int in cross-signed
    comparisons. This results in 1U < -2, and gives rise to all kinds
    of error paths from min/max codes (in particular, but they're not
    all) of the form

    min(unsigned_positive_constant, signed_ok_or_error_value)

    whose authors were expecting to get the error value out when the
    error value went in!

    There are apparently more problems too, but nobody has explained them
    to me in a manner that I can comprehend. I suspect that nobody knows
    the full range of possible faults. I put in the size comparison
    that you remarked upon so that people could tell me about it. Tell me
    about it.

    Linus wants possible mistakes flagged. He specifically does not want
    -Wsign-compare because it apparently gives false positives.

    Peter

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:01    [W:0.038 / U:59.760 seconds]