SubjectRe: io_request_lock/queue_lock patch

> > Please elaborate on "no, no, no". Are you suggesting that no further
> > improvements can be made or should be attempted on the 2.4 i/o subsystem?
> Of course not. The no no no just means that attempting to globally remove the
> io_request_lock at this point is a no-go, so don't even go there. The
> sledgehammer approach will not fly at this point, it's just way too risky.

I agree that reducing locking scope is often problematic. However,
this patch does not globally remove the io_request_lock. The purpose
of the patch is to protect request queue integrity with a per queue
lock instead of the global io_request_lock. My intent was to leave
other io_request_lock serialization intact. Any insight into whether
the patch leaves data unprotected would be appreciated.

Jonathan Lahr
IBM Linux Technology Center
Beaverton, Oregon