    SubjectRe: io_request_lock/queue_lock patch

    > > Please elaborate on "no, no, no". Are you suggesting that no further
    > > improvements can be made or should be attempted on the 2.4 i/o subsystem?
    > Of course not. The no no no just means that attempting to globally remove the
    > io_request_lock at this point is a no-go, so don't even go there. The
    > sledgehammer approach will not fly at this point, it's just way too risky.

    I agree that reducing locking scope is often problematic. However,
    this patch does not globally remove the io_request_lock. The purpose
    of the patch is to protect request queue integrity with a per queue
    lock instead of the global io_request_lock. My intent was to leave
    other io_request_lock serialization intact. Any insight into whether
    the patch leaves data unprotected would be appreciated.

    Jonathan Lahr
    IBM Linux Technology Center
    Beaverton, Oregon

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:01    [W:0.024 / U:32.032 seconds]