SubjectRe: Poor Performance for ethernet bonding
Willy Tarreau wrote:

> Hi Ben,
>
> > Couldn't the bonding code be made to distribute pkts to one interface or
> > another based on a hash of the sending IP port or something? Seems like that
> > would fix the reordering problem for IP packets.... It wouldn't help for
> > a single stream, but I'm guessing the real world problem involves many streams,
> > which on average should hash such that the load is balanced...
>
> You may take a look at this for enhancements to the bonding driver :
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/bonding/
>
> The XOR method has been implemented to hash the flows based on the SRC/DST
> MAC addresses.

If you are only hashing on MAC addresses, then you would become highly
un-optimized in the case where a machine is communicating with it's
default gateway primarily. Perhaps the XOR hash is really more sophisticated??

Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com> <Ben_Greear@excite.com>
President of Candela Technologies Inc http://www.candelatech.com