SubjectRe: Poor Performance for ethernet bonding
On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 08:45:33AM -0700, Ben Greear wrote:
> On the surface, multi-path routing sounds complicated to me, while
> layer-2 bonding seems relatively trivial to set up/administer. Since we do
> support bonding, if it's a simple fix to make it better, we
> might as well do that, eh?

multipath routing is really not complicated; I don't know why it "sounds"
complicated to you. Of course you could always add new features to the kernel
because the existing ones which do the same thing in a better way
"sound complicated" to someone; I doubt it is a good use of developer time

BTW when you would teach bonding about flows it wouldn't be layer-2 anymore.

To kill the "sounds complicated" myth:

ip route add nexthop dev eth0 nexthop dev eth1

gives you a multipath route with eth0 and eth1 with the same weight for netmask If you replace with default it'll
be your default route. The kernel does the rest.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:58    [W:0.079 / U:1.072 seconds]