SubjectRe: Determining maximum partition size on a hard disk

On Fri, 24 Aug 2001 10:47:28 +0200
Paal Chr Birkeland <paalchr@linuxnation.net> wrote:

> > First I found that the maximum size of the drive Linux reports is not
> > the maximum size I get when I calculate it from the drives geometry.
> > Secondly, the total drive space reported by linux is not the amount
> > available for the maximum partition.
> >

> tune2fs -m 2 /dev/hd-whatever-hdd
>
> For some reason linux still "eats" 5% of the hdd. This for still beeing able
> to run smooth if hdd is maxed out, or something like that.
> I dont know if the tune2fs is a slackware feature only, but i doubt it. Then
> again I havent really "tried" any other distro.
> Inputs ?

You can you choose this when you make the filesystem..

By using the -m option to mke2fs you can set the
reserved-block-percentage ... and can eay overide this then to 0 or 3
percent...

-m reserved-blocks-percentage
Specify the percentage of reserved blocks for the super-user. This value defaults to 5%.

afaik, the 5% option is a mke2fs default for all distributions.

Best regards,

Arnvid Karstad
Speedroad Networks

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:58    [W:0.037 / U:0.296 seconds]