SubjectRe: [IDEA+RFC] Possible solution for min()/max() war
--- Tobias Diedrich <ranma@gmx.at> wrote:
> Brad Chapman wrote:
>
> > Yes, I'm aware of that. That's why we should try to centralize the #ifdef
> > somewhere, so that everybody sees a unified interface, but at the same time,
> > do this correctly _and_ _without_ the use of typeof().
> >
> > BTW what is your opinion on the things I suggested?
>
> Well I'm not really a kernel hacker, but I don't see how it would be possible to
> do it
> that way without always coding both versions, so I think it's a silly Idea (sorry
> ^^;)
> We would just have to agree on one Version. If I see it correctly the whole Idea
> of
> including it into kernel.h was to remove redundant code and appearently Linus
> decided
> to also force everyone to think about what they are doing when using these macros
> by requiring the additional type argument. I too think that #ifdef's in the code
> are ugly and should be avoided.
> How are you going to centralize the #ifdef and provide a unified interface if
> one version requires two arguments, the other three ?
> Currently the change broke a few things, but those are easy to convert to the new
> interface... They will just have to decide which one to use...
> I don't see any way around that.
>
> --
> Tobias PGP-Key: 0x9AC7E0BC

Mr. Diedrich,

See the e-mail I sent to Mr. Viro; in it I explain one way to provide
a compat interface via a config option, but still allow people to do it the
"right" way. See also the rant at the bottom ;)

Brad

=====
Brad Chapman

Permanent e-mail: kakadu_croc@yahoo.com