    Subject[IDEA+RFC] Possible solution for min()/max() war
    Everyone,

    At the risk of igniting another long-drawn-out flamewar over the
    min()/max() macros, I have an idea.

    There is a section in the config dialogs labeled "Kernel hacking."
    Under it there is the SysRQ option. Why don't we put an entry under that
    dialog and label it "Use new min()/max() macros" and make it a y/n field.
    Then we can add dozens of warnings to the help dialog about it, and allow
    the user/hacker to select the macro they want.

    In any code which uses the macros, you can simply do this:

    #include <linux/config.h>
    #ifdef CONFIG_USE_NEW_MINMAX
    minimum = min(int, number[0], number[1]);
    #else
    minimum = min(number[0], number[1]);
    #endif

    This way, some hackers can use the two-arg min()/max() inside an #ifdef block,
    other hackers can use the three-arg min()/max() inside an #ifdef block,
    and people who don't care can select either.

    Comments, flames, suggestions, anyone? If the output is good, I'll
    publish a patch which will add the Config.in option and default it to
    CONFIG_USE_NEW_MINMAX=y, since that was the decree of the Great Penguin Overlord ;)

    Brad

    =====
    Brad Chapman

    Permanent e-mail: kakadu_croc@yahoo.com