    SubjectRe: [FAQ?] More ram=less performance (maximum cacheable RAM)
    Luca Montecchiani writes:
    > Robert Love wrote:
    > >
    > > It also has nothing to do with Linux. Some motherboard's TAG RAM do not
    > > allow for caching more than xMB.
    > I'm just proposing to update the FAQ to help people like me
    > that thinking to gain speed doubling the system ram have seen
    > a severe performance drop for certain task like compiling the
    > kernel .
    > Answer :
    > It has nothing to do with Linux, maybe your motherboard's TAG Ram
    > do not allow for caching more than xMB.

    It's a useful entry, but I don't think it really belongs in the
    linux-kernel mailing list FAQ. It belongs in some other
    hardware-related document. Better to search for an appropriate one,
    and get that updated as needed. I'm happy to add a link to it, though.

    I just don't want the LKML FAQ turning into a bloated monster that
    tries to answer all questions. The WWW is a *web*, not a central
    repository, and works best if we keep it a web. Links Are Good[tm].

    While I'm flattered you consider me (or at least the LKML FAQ) the
    fount of all knowledge, I really would feel better if others shared in
    the burden^Wglory.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:58    [W:0.022 / U:85.072 seconds]