SubjectRe: releasing driver to kernel in source+binary format
On Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 12:43:05PM -0600, MEHTA,HIREN (A-SanJose,ex1) wrote:
> Well, Qlogic also has their firmware released in binary format.
> Any comment on that ?

That firmware is something which is run by the card itself,
and appears as series of services which plain source C code
driver executed by the Linux kernel then uses.
Linux writes/reads something at magic locations, sends and
receives interrupts, all that fun.

If the card firmware is binary, I don't see any real problems
(aside of purity of 'all in source'). Properly written drivers
can be compiled and RUN at any hardware where Linux runs,
including future changes in driver infrastructure.
(Interrupts, semaphores, ...)

For Linux kernel there is a ABI to the card firmware.
It might not be very well documented, or explained, but
a ABI it is none the less.

Linux runs on lots of different processors/architectures/systems.
A PCI card should be workable at any of them.

Consider i386 series, and ia64. Linux kernel won't be running
in i386 mode for drivers, for just one example from intel
product lines.

What we are seeing with one particular .o driver in Linux
kernel is that users who use it are having problems due to
*SOMETHING*, but we (linux kernel hacker community) can't
figure it out when the vendor is unable to fix it.

In recent hardware purchase this particular driver problem
detail guided me to choose different component for the system.

> -hiren

/Matti Aarnio

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:58    [W:0.039 / U:0.076 seconds]