    SubjectRe: PROBLEM: usb not working with 2.4.8-ac8
    > Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 01:48:57 -0500
    > From: Jordan Breeding <ledzep37@home.com>
    > To: Pete Zaitcev <zaitcev@redhat.com>,
    > Linux Kernel <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>

    > Running 2.4.8-ac7 using the alternate uhci driver both my USB keyboard
    > and mouse work fine. I can't use the regular uhci driver because it
    > aparently has SMP issues with keyboards and like to hard lock the entire
    > system, no oops or anything, if any LED key
    > (numlock,capslock,scrolllock) is pressed enough times to turn an LED on
    > and then off.

    I think I fixed it long ago - we shipped it with Red Hat Linux 7.1
    on ia64, and in errata for i386. I recall arguing about it with
    Georg Archer, and it was accepted into Linus tree. But perhaps not
    every hole was plugged.

    > Using 2.4.8-ac8 with the patch from below at least works
    > more than stock 2.4.8-ac8 but I still get failures: specifically the
    > regular uhci driver seems to work perfectly except for the issue noted
    > above.

    Well, good. If you have an SMP problem - post to the list.
    I have 2 SMPs, one with uchi and one with ohci, which run well.
    People used to think that USB on SMP was a non-issue, but
    unfortunately companies like Dell started to ship rackmounted
    SMPs with USB keyboards :)

    > But my uchi controller using the alternate uhci driver on
    > 2.4.8-ac8 results in an unusable system, and with the patch below kind
    > of works. By kind of I mean that it doesn't oops and there aren't any
    > of the couldn't assign id type messages but I get a ton of the "raced
    > timeout" messages and the mouse and keyboard only sporadically work,

    I think the JE uhci forgets to post a callback sometimes,
    so I'll look. Meanwhile, try to remove that printout -
    it's only for JE uhci bughunt.

    -- Pete

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:57    [W:8.214 / U:0.008 seconds]