SubjectRe: [FAQ?] More ram=less performance (maximum cacheable RAM)
From
On Wed, Aug 22, 2001 at 07:12:13AM -0400, Wakko Warner wrote:

> > > It also has nothing to do with Linux. Some motherboard's TAG RAM do not
> > > allow for caching more than xMB.
> >
> > I'm just proposing to update the FAQ to help people like me
> > that thinking to gain speed doubling the system ram have seen
> > a severe performance drop for certain task like compiling the
> > kernel .
> >
> > Answer :
> > It has nothing to do with Linux, maybe your motherboard's TAG Ram
> > do not allow for caching more than xMB.
>
> The bios has something to do with that as well. I have a dual pentium
> machine at work that was really slow. I looked in the bios and it has an
> option to cache 64mb or 512mb. speed up my kernel compiles (2.2.x) by about
> 12 minutes. (took 20, after the change, it took about 8)

Mine has this option, but kernel OOPSes with the option set to 512MB.
It's a TMC TD5TH. I've posted the OOPS before. I can post if anyone
wants to see it.

--
Ferret

I will be switching my email addresses from @ferret.dyndns.org to
@mail.aom.geek on or after September 1, 2001, but not until after
Debian's servers include support. 'geek' is an OpenNIC TLD. See
http://www.opennic.unrated.net for details about adding OpenNIC
support to your computer, or ask your provider to add support to
their name servers.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:58    [W:0.104 / U:0.188 seconds]