SubjectRe: Problems with SMP on most kernels (apic and "stuck on TLB IPI wait"-error)
On 2001.08.21 14:01 Christian Widmer wrote:
> sorry i just saw that you have a via chipset. i didn't realise that
> your mail continues below the error-msg-list - sorry again.
> that bord you have is know for that problem, i've them too.
> just be fine with noapic. i don't know it asus fixed there bios
> with in the latest release. i didn't try since it works with no apic,
> since i live with "never touch a running system - murfy is watching
> you" :)

This is the (latest) BIOS update
http://www.asus.com.tw/products/Motherboard/bios_s370.html#cuv4x-d
I don't see any information about the VIA694XDP Chipset that I have

I am not very sure about updating this bios. If it would say
"This BIOS update fixes some VIA chipset bugs" then okay but now..
blindly installing a new bios :-\ I don't know..

Is there another way to get around this problem ? I don't have
any problems with the fact that I have to use "noapic" but I do have
problems with the fact that at this moment, with a 2.2.x kernel I
get "stuck on TLB IPI wait" errors and on a 2.4.x the system hangs
when switching console to X.

--
Philip van Hoof aka freax (http://www.freax.eu.org)
irc: irc.openprojects.net mailto:freax @ pandora.be