SubjectRe: [Linux-fbdev-devel] Patch, please TEST: linux-2.4.9 console font modularization
On Sun, 19 Aug 2001, Adam J. Richter wrote:
> >What's wrong with the ancient console ioctl()s to change the font at runtine?
> >(damned, I can't remember the name of the command)
>
> I don't know enough about fbdev vs. the old PC VGA console
> to know whether those ioctl's are available for fbdev.

Yes, they should work, through the console->con_font_op() call.

> As far as I'm concerned, loading fonts by user level programs
> would be even better than by loading modules, although, I think that,
> when trying to move a facility from kernel to userland, people are a
> lot more willing to try that change if the kernel-based way is still
> available, but normally just compiled as modules that people gradually
> stop using.

Yes, and the user-land support is even older than the kernel support, except
for the one builtin font that fbdev requires (on VGA text the font is in the
VGA BIOS ROM).

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

-- Linus Torvalds