SubjectRe: more kernel .01
jlnance@intrex.net said:

[...]

> Long long ago, before Red Hat or any other distributions, people installed
> Linux using a pair of floppies called the boot disk and the root disk. This
> was how I first installed Linux, using the 0.11 or 0.12 kernel. It was
> pretty easy to install a minimal self hosting Linux system using these disks.
> If you can find someone with a set of these disk images for 0.11 and the
> associated gcc disks, you can probably get a very early linux system up
> fairly quickly. I dont know who might have a set laying around, but I
> hope this mail generates some comments from people who do.

Machines have changed a lot since then, unless you get a vintage machine
(with original disk, etc) I very much doubt this will work.

Besides, I don't think learning about a *very* old, severely broken kernel
will help in any way. Yes, the current kernel is huge, but most of that is
drivers for all sort of exotic hardware.
--
Horst von Brand vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl
Casilla 9G, Vin~a del Mar, Chile +56 32 672616