    SubjectRe: Aliases
    On Sat, 18 Aug 2001, Jim Roland wrote:

    > Having recently gone from 2.2 to 2.4 what's the device convention now? I
    > thought it was eth0 (example) and eth0:0 .. eth0:255, but knew kernel 2.4
    > would take it further.

    presuming this isn't an ifconfig limit instead of a kernel limit, trying
    "ifconfig eth0:x" works for x < 10000, anything > 10000 and x becomes
    x%10000.

    However, 2.4 also has multiple addresses of the same type per device;
    unfortunately it's fairly slow. Adding or deleting addresses seems to
    take ~5 seconds per 255 addresses on my machine, and listing addresses
    takes about 1 second / 300 addresses on the same machine.

    Also, listing addresses for another interface isn't any faster, which is
    unfortunate; ip shouldn't need to check addresses of all interfaces just
    to get the ones for the requested interface.

    At least listing time seems to increase linearly with the number of
    addresses. IIRC someone posted a patch a few weeks ago to speed this up
    (no longer sits for a long time before listing addresses).

    time ip addr show dev eth1 | wc -l
    37766
    ip addr show dev eth1 113.17s user 1.82s system 99% cpu 1:55.38 total

    Also, ifconfig, which has no idea about any but the first address in an
    address class, also does nothing for the same amount of time before
    listing interfaces.

    Anyway, it seems ip and the 2.4 scheme with multiple addresses per
    interface can handle many more addresses than ifconfig and the device
    alias scheme.

    justin

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:57    [W:0.026 / U:59.016 seconds]