    SubjectRe: ext2 not NULLing deleted files?
    On 17 Aug 2001, Robert Love wrote:
    > On 17 Aug 2001 09:38:10 +0200, Enver Haase wrote:
    > > I just recognized there's an "undelete" now for ext2 file systems [a KDE
    > > app].
    > >
    > > "The Other OS" in its professional version does of course clear the deleted
    > > blocks with 0's for security reasons; I would have bet a thousand bucks Linux
    > > would do so, too [seems I should have read the source code, good thing no-one
    > > wanted to take on the bet :) ].
    >
    > By "The Other OS" I assume you mean NT. NT does _not_ zero files on
    > delete, either with NTFS or anything else. It merely unlinks them like
    > any other OS. I can't think of anything that nullifies files, except
    > utilities meant solely to do that (often called "sweeping").

    VMS. "DELETE/ERASE FOO.BAR" I don't recall whether it's done by the
    filesystem code or by the DELETE command in userspace, but I'm guessing
    it's built into FILES-11. (Sorry, my Gray Wall is at home.)

    > Do you have any idea how long it would take to zero files? If you
    > removed even a moderately sized directory, it would take a _very long_
    > time.

    That's why it's optional.

    --
    Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer mwood@IUPUI.Edu