SubjectRe: WANTED: Re: VM lockup with 2.4.8 / 2.4.8pre8
On Wed, 15 Aug 2001, Colonel wrote:

> >> The belief that boot started processes remain under a pid < 1000 is
> >> flawed. Simple example: the postfix mail server.
> >>

> >agreed, but FWIW my postfix master daemon is pid 434
>

> Ah, yes that reminds me that when you take down a service and then
> start it again, you lose that nice low pid. FWIW, my master is 23034
> now. As D Ford stated, paying attention to pid value is not useful.

On a server which is anything but idle, 16bit pids cycle every 1 or 2
days. And many daemons do get restarted (syslog on RH systems), and they
do fork to perform their task (all from [x]inetd, sendmail, and the like).
PID means nothing, expecially when uptime > 100 days its pretty much a
random number (a lot of chances you already restarted almost everything,
unless your configuration is *very* stable).

.TM.
--
/ / / Marco Colombo