SubjectThanks!! SMP+emu10k1+2.4.9-pre1 == no lockups after 2 years
After almost 2 years using 2.4 kernels since the test
ones I finally can say that my SMP box is rock solid.
I was experiencing hard lockups without any oops in
some sporadic but very particular situations: creation
and destruction of gtk+ objects. I thought that the
problem was either X or G400 video card. It turned out
that it was the emu10k1 driver which I decided to
unload after reading a recent post of Eric S. Raymond
using Tyan K7 Thunder dual-Athlon. After unloading the
driver I was not
able to crash my box anymore. So it was not the gtk+
the problem but was the little sound events generated
during the creation and destruction of objects. The
new driver in 2.4.9-pre1 is solid for me. I hope that
you keep this one and thanks for fixing it! My SMP
mobo is ASUS P2BD with PIII's.

Kent