    SubjectRe: NFS Client patch
    On Mon, 9 Jul 2001, Trond Myklebust wrote:
    > The NFSv2 spec says no such thing. It simply says that you set the
    > cookie to zero when you want to start at the beginning of the
    > directory. This is only needed when we want to reread the directory
    > into the page cache.

    Ok, perhaps I mis-spoke slightly. What the spec does state is that the
    cookie is opaque. This has generally been interpreted to mean that you
    should not trust it to be stable after a change to that directory.

    > Your patch will automatically lead to duplicate entries in readdir()
    > on most if not all servers whenever the attributes on the inode have
    > been refreshed (whether or not the cache has been invalidated). That's
    > a bug...

    If I were to do a create during a readdir() operation which inserted
    itself in the directory before the place it left off, that entry would be
    left out of the listing. That is also a bug, wouldn't you think?

    I'd also like to point out that every other operating system which I have
    tested this with has resulted in the correct behavior (NetBSD, FreeBSD,
    Digital Unix, ...)

    As for the refresh vs. invalidate problem, I would be happy to add
    another time stamp to the in-core nfs inode exclusively for directory

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:56    [W:0.022 / U:10.972 seconds]