SubjectRe: RFC: modules and 2.5
Date
In message <3B4718CC.483CE54E@mandrakesoft.com> you write:
> IMHO you should be free to bump the module reference count up and down
> as you wish, and be able to read the module reference count.
>
> If you make that assumption, then it becomes possible to use the module
> ref count as an internal reference counter, for device opens or
> something like that.

Surely the exception rather than the rule?

Sorry, complicating the code and making everyone pay the penalty so
you can take a confusing short cut in your code is not something we're
going to agree on.

Modules are slower than built in; let's not "fix" this by making
builtin code slower. 8)

Rusty.
--
Premature optmztion is rt of all evl. --DK