SubjectRe: VM in 2.4.7-pre hurts...

On Sun, 8 Jul 2001, Rik van Riel wrote:

> If __wait_on_buffer and ___wait_on_page get stuck, this could
> mean a page doesn't get unlocked. When this is happening, we
> may well be running into a dozens of pages which aren't getting
> properly unlocked on IO completion.

Absolutely. But that, in turn, should cause just others getting stuck, not
running, no?

Anyway, having looked at the buffer case, I htink I found a potentially
nasty bug: "unlock_buffer()" with a buffer cout of zero.

Why is this nasty? unlock_buffer() does:

extern inline void unlock_buffer(struct buffer_head *bh)
{
clear_bit(BH_Lock, &bh->b_state);
smp_mb__after_clear_bit();
if (waitqueue_active(&bh->b_wait))
wake_up(&bh->b_wait);
}
but by doing the "clear_bit()", it also potentially free's the buffer, so
an interrupt coming in (or another CPU) can end up doing a kfree() on the
bh.

At which point the "waitqueue_active()" and the wakeup call are operating
on random memory.

This does not explain __wait_on_buffer(), but it's a bug none-the-less.

Anybody can find anything else fishy with buffer handling?

Linus

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans