    SubjectRe: [OT] Suitable Athlon Motherboard for Linux
    Date
    Unfortunately, some distros will have some configurations, patches, and
    customizations that may cause problems with some systems. I am using an
    EPoX 8KTA3+ (with IDE ATA100 RAID controller) and have absolutely no
    problems with RedHat 6.1, or my current RedHat 7.1, and I am using the RAID
    controller in a non-RAID configuration. Using Mandrake for critical
    applications such as servers and firewalls, I have always had "strange"
    unexplained lock-ups, etc (that was on Mandrake 7.0). What will really
    matter is what hardware you're plugging into the motherboard and it's
    interaction with those cards.

    My system (which runs without any problems whatsoever):
    EPoX 8KTA3+ Mainboard
    Athlon K7 1.2GHz
    512MB RAM
    1 CDROM on IDE0 (standard 52x)
    1 CDRW on IDE1 (Plextor Plexwriter 16/10/40A)
    1 30 GB Seagate HD on IDE2 (Highpoint RAID Controller part of mainboard)
    1 6GB Western Digital on IDE3 (Highpoint RAID Controller part of mainboard)
    GeForce2 MX (32MB RAM)
    Netgear FA311 NIC