SubjectRe: Strange thread behaviour on 8-way x86 machine
On Fri, 6 Jul 2001, Sasha Pachev wrote:

> Upon further investigation and testing, it turned out that the kernel was not
> at fault - the problem was high mutex contention, which caused frequent
> context switches, and the idle CPU was apparently from the scheduler waiting
> for the original CPU to become available too often.
>
> On a side note, it would be nice if a process could communicate
> to the kernel that it would rather run on the first available
> CPU than wait for the perfect one to become available.

The kernel already does this.

Rik
--
Executive summary of a recent Microsoft press release:
"we are concerned about the GNU General Public License (GPL)"

http://www.surriel.com/
http://www.conectiva.com/ http://distro.conectiva.com/

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:56    [W:0.048 / U:0.108 seconds]