SubjectRe: tasklets in 2.4.6
On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 03:08:05AM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Ville Nummela wrote:
> > In kernel/softirq.c, line 178:
> >
> > if (test_bit(TASKLET_STATE_SCHED, &t->state))
> > tasklet_schedule(t);
> >
> > What's the idea behind this line? If the tasklet is already scheduled,
> > schedule it again? This does not make much sense to me.
> >
> > Also, few lines before:
> >
> > if (test_bit(TASKLET_STATE_SCHED, &t->state))
> > goto repeat;
> >
> > Here we'll loop forever if the tasklet should schedule itself.
>
> hmmm, it looks almost ok to me.
>
> The tasklet is locked before the "repeat" label, so any tasklet
> scheduling itself will set the bit, but NOT actually schedule iteself.
> For this see the tasket_schedule code, for the case where the bit is not
> set, but the tasklet is locked.
>
> The first statement above schedules the tasklet if the bit was set while
> the tasklet was locked. The second statement, as the comment right
> above it indicates, causes the tasklet to repeat itself.
>
> The only thing that appears fishy is that if the tasklet constantly
> reschedules itself, it will never leave the loop AFAICS. This affects
> tasklet_hi_action as well as tasklet_action.

another bug triggers when the tasklet is re-enabled by another cpu in
this point:

if (test_bit(TASKLET_STATE_SCHED, &t->state))
goto repeat;
}
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx
tasklet_unlock(t);
if (test_bit(TASKLET_STATE_SCHED, &t->state))
tasklet_schedule(t);

then the check for test_bit(TASKLET_STATE_SCHED, &t->state) will
trigger, but the tasklet_schedule won't queue the tasklet because
TASKLET_STATE_SCHED is just set in t->state.

This is fixed in my ksoftirqd patch. However one thing I'd like to
change in my patch is to add the BUG() that triggers in the case
mentioned yesterday.

Andrea

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:56    [W:0.066 / U:1.384 seconds]