    SubjectRe: OOPS (kswapd) in 2.4.5 and 2.4.6
    Date

    > > FYI, I see a similar problem under 2.4.5, also SMP, although only
    > > intermittently. Two oopses are below, from two different, although
    > > similarly configured, machines.
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    > Sounds very similar. Our servers are all identical (except for RAM).
    >
    > What's unusual is that the machines we *expect* to fail sooner - don't
    > (not even an oops). Those are very busy cache servers (several of them
    > in a sibling cluster) which do a lot of swapping. The machines which
    > *do* fail (or oops without any further catastrophe) are typically
    > web/mail hosting servers (reasonably busy with about 25% swap being
    > used). Increasing swap did not help on 2.4.5. We're still waiting for
    > something to happen on 2.4.6 (ie, oops already appeared - waiting for
    > meltdown, which, hopefully, will not occur). We used to auto-reboot
    > every morning at 2am or something to keep things stable - which I
    > *hate* because I remember having a 2.0.35/6 workstation that had an
    > uptime of 6 months a couple of years ago. God, I loved that box.

    It's happened again. The server which previously failed with memory
    errors, has failed again and required a reboot. It was using 26% swap,
    and apache would fail to start with 'semget: No space left on device'.
    What we also noticed was that the kswapd process showed 'defunct' on
    ps... mean anything to anyone?

    Regards
    Henry

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:56    [W:3.105 / U:0.112 seconds]