    > On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 11:37:28PM -0400, Rick Hohensee wrote:
    > > That's with the GNU tools, without asm(), and without proper declaration
    > > of printf, as is my tendency. I don't actually return an int either, do I?
    > > LAAETTR.
    >
    > Under ISO C rules, this is illegal, since you must have a proper prototype in
    > scope when calling variable argument functions. In fact, I have worked on
    > several GCC ports, where the compiler uses a different calling sequence for
    > variable argument functions than it does for normal functions. For example, on
    > the Mips, if the first argument is floating point and the number of arguments
    > is not variable, it is passed in a FP register, instead of an integer
    > register. For variable argument functions, everything is passed in the integer
    > registers.

    I didn't know that, but...

    You seem to be saying the use of assumptions about args passing is
    non-standard. I know. It's more standard than GNU extensions to C though,
    C_labels_in_asms in particular, and even in your examples it appears that
    the particular function abusing these tenets will know what it can expect
    from a particular compiler, since it knows what it's arguments are. It
    can't know what it can expect from any compiler. This perhaps is where
    #ifdef comes in, or similar. Well, it's not more standard than GNU, but
    the differences would be less detailed in the case of just dealing with
    various args passing schemes, and there may be some compiler-to-compiler
    overlap, where there won't be any with stuff like C_labels_in_asms.

    It's illegal to not declare main() as int. I don't know of a unix that
    actually passes anything but a byte to the calling process. I got flamed
    mightily for this in comp.unix.programmer until people ran some checks on
    thier big Real Unix(TM) boxes of various types. Linux won't pass void
    either, you have to get a 0 at least. Compliance is subjective. It's
    easier when things make sense.

    Rick Hohensee
    www.clienux.com