SubjectRe: VM Requirement Document - v0.0
Date
> Getting the user's "interactive" programs loaded back
> in afterwards is a separate, much more difficult problem
> IMHO, but no doubt still has a reasonable solution.

Possibly stupid suggestion... Maybe the interactive/GUI programs should wake
up once in a while and touch a couple of their pages? Go too far with this
and you'll just get in the way of performance, but I don't think it would
hurt to have processes waking up every couple of minutes and touching glibc,
libqt, libgtk, etc so they stay hot in memory... A very slow incremental
"caress" of the address space could eliminate the
"I-just-logged-in-this-morning-and-dammit-everything-has-been-paged-out"
problem.

Regards,
Dan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:56    [W:0.077 / U:0.148 seconds]