    SubjectRe: Strange errors in /var/log/messages
    <> writes:

    > Hi!
    > I'm running RedHat 7.0 with all official RH patches applied. The kernel I
    > currently run fow a few days is 2.2.19-7.0.8
    > I run the pre-compiled kernel of RH. Suddenly I the following messages:

    <snip error messages>

    > This continued for about half an hour. Then it stopped. What's going on
    > here??

    Here you have two options:

    You are either under attack by someone who's trying to exploit your
    LPRng (someone's trying to use LPR's logging function to get a shell).
    This is the LPRng string format _syslog bug that theoretically could
    allow root access. For more info check

    The other option is that you're under rpc.statd attack at the moment.

    In either case, make sure you upgraded to the latest patch versions
    and subscribe to BugTraq and the Security Focus Incidents mailinglist :)

    Remco B. Brink - SOL Børs A/S systemsdeveloper -
    Personal site at - PGP/GnuPG key at

    "What you end up with, after running an operating system concept through
    these many marketing coffee filters, is something not unlike plain hot
    (By Matt Welsh)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:55    [W:0.020 / U:52.312 seconds]