    On Mon, 2 Jul 2001, Paul Mackerras wrote:

    > I'm not sure what the best way to fix this is. The problem would crop
    > up whenever we have a kernel thread which wants to wait for a child
    > process. I don't think we want to start delivering signals to kernel
    > threads in the same way that we do to usermode processes though.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    Well, linuxrc and a number of aspects of the boot process seem to suffer
    from attempting to kludge userspace programs into the kernel. To this
    end, I would like to propose that we move these functions into userspace
    where they belong and instead provide support for linking an initial
    filesystem image into vmlinux. We can then move linuxrc, dhcp and other
    such bits out of the kernel and use the same code as is normally used at
    run time -> it's better tested and easier to fix.

    -ben

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:55    [W:0.023 / U:61.088 seconds]