SubjectRE: *very* strange heisenbug (kernel? libc?)
Date
It sounds like you are having the same problem I've been having for
the past several weeks. Check out
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/bug-glibc/2001-06/msg00079.html or http://www.uwsg.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0106.2/0472.html
for my description of the problem. The basic idea is, a multithreaded
program on an SMP box seems to run fine except when 'exec'd from
a shell script where I get intermittant crashes and hangs. Removing
CPU's down to one or booting a uniprocessor kernel makes the
problem go away.

I've been playing with linuxthreads and the kernel trying to figure out
what's going on. Linuxthreads makes clone calls from time to time
to create new threads. Occasionally, it seems that the cloned
process is getting a SEGV as it is being scheduled for the very first
time. As far as I can tell this is happening in the switch_to() macro
call in schedule() (kernel/sched.c). This happens before the original
cloning process is even done with the do_fork() call which is a little
unnerving.

I'm not sure if the kernel or linuxthreads is at fault. I will continue to
poke around at this problem. Suggestions encouraged.

Cheers,
Ed

----- Message from David Madore <david.madore@ens.fr> -----