SubjectRe: 4.1.0 DRM (was Re: Linux 2.4.6-ac3)
Alan Cox wrote:

>> Why not do something similar to the aic7xxx driver? Place the old DRM in
>> code in a pre-X4.1.0 subdirectory, with a warning that it will become
>> obsolete as of 2.5, and bring in the new code. When you build the
>> kernel, you can then choose which DRM version you want and everybody is
>> happy.
>

> Thats certainly possible, Ideally you would want both module sets to
> co-exist. That way the user can build all of DRM and get the right ones loading
> via modprobe
>
> Alan
>
> -

Actually I have something like this pretty much working. Unfortunately
I was working on a project full time during the 4.1.0 release. With the
addition of this code, the old modules will coexist with newer modules.
Basically the newer modules will have their version numbers appended to
their names, this way a user can build all the drm modules, and things
will just work. Hopefully we can get a 4.1.1 release out soon which
will do this. This will make the 4.0 -> 4.1 have to be a compile time
decision, but 4.1 -> 4.1.1 and higher will just coexist with each
other. I'm currently working out integrating this into the kernel
build, and I should hopefully have a patch for Linus and Alan soon.

-Jeff

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:57    [W:0.144 / U:0.060 seconds]