    SubjectRe: Oops triggered by ftp connection attempt through Linux firewall
    Date
    In article <20010712145811.A8082@hapablap.dyn.dhs.org>,
    Steven Walter <srwalter@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 10:12:19AM -0700, Ned Bass wrote:
    >> A kernel Oops error occurs on a Linux 2.4.6 system that provides IP
    >> masquerading for a local area network. The crash is triggered when a
    >> connection is attempted to port 21 on ftp.freesoftware.com from any
    >> host on the local network which uses the Linux system as its default
    >> gateway. Attempting to connect to port 21 on the Linux system itself
    >> results in a no route to host error message. The severity of the crash
    >> prevents interactive access to the system, and a hard reboot is required.
    >> The error has been 100% reproducible using the scenario described above.
    >> After the Oops, the filesystems can be synced using Alt-Printscreen-S,
    >> however attempting to remount readonly using Alt-Printscreen-U caused
    >> additional kernel panics.
    >
    >I have been seeing the same, or a very similar bug, on another NAT
    >machine. This one is of almost the same setup, using Netfilter, FTP,
    >and PPPoE. The oops resulting from this bug it attached.
    >
    >Interesting, my system is also using the in-kernel pppoe driver.
    >Perhaps there is a bug and/or interaction in the pppoe driver with
    >netfilter?

    FWIW, I've never seen this with any of the 2.4.x kernels i've been using on
    my gateway. But i'm NOT using the kernel pppoe driver, instead i use
    the rp-pppoe-2.5-1 rpm (redhat 7.0) currently with 2.4.6-pre3 + ipsec patches
    (uptime ~7 days now).

    Tom

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:57    [W:0.022 / U:32.204 seconds]