    SubjectRe: Oops triggered by ftp connection attempt through Linux firewall
    In article <>,
    Steven Walter <> wrote:
    >On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 10:12:19AM -0700, Ned Bass wrote:
    >> A kernel Oops error occurs on a Linux 2.4.6 system that provides IP
    >> masquerading for a local area network. The crash is triggered when a
    >> connection is attempted to port 21 on from any
    >> host on the local network which uses the Linux system as its default
    >> gateway. Attempting to connect to port 21 on the Linux system itself
    >> results in a no route to host error message. The severity of the crash
    >> prevents interactive access to the system, and a hard reboot is required.
    >> The error has been 100% reproducible using the scenario described above.
    >> After the Oops, the filesystems can be synced using Alt-Printscreen-S,
    >> however attempting to remount readonly using Alt-Printscreen-U caused
    >> additional kernel panics.
    >I have been seeing the same, or a very similar bug, on another NAT
    >machine. This one is of almost the same setup, using Netfilter, FTP,
    >and PPPoE. The oops resulting from this bug it attached.
    >Interesting, my system is also using the in-kernel pppoe driver.
    >Perhaps there is a bug and/or interaction in the pppoe driver with

    FWIW, I've never seen this with any of the 2.4.x kernels i've been using on
    my gateway. But i'm NOT using the kernel pppoe driver, instead i use
    the rp-pppoe-2.5-1 rpm (redhat 7.0) currently with 2.4.6-pre3 + ipsec patches
    (uptime ~7 days now).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:57    [W:0.024 / U:4.744 seconds]